Hi! It's Krisy here today and I am so excited to be sharing my very first project with you here on the Helmar Blog. To be honest, our very first box of supplies hasn't turned up on my doorstep just yet but never fear, I am sharing a project using my absolute staples from my stash. My Helmar Acid Fee Glue is my go to for nearly every project I work on. I go through at least a container of this every two weeks.
So, today I decided to share with you something that I am addicted to making at the moment - Art Journal Covers. They could be pieces of Art on their own as I make them separate and then stick them to my Art Journal covers. It is a pretty straight forward project and anyone can give it a go.
All you need is some glue, paper, a chipboard title and maybe a few embellishments (I used some canvas and fibres as added extras) or inks.
This is what I started with.
A blank art journal, a piece of cardboard the same size as my art journal cover, some paper scraps (these are leftovers from a Collection I just loved but didn't know what to do with) and my Acid Free Glue and some Liquid Scrap dots.
Then all I did was cut my papers into different sizes that when stacked will create layers. I fussy cut some, trimmed some right down and others I left whole. Once I was happy with the "stack" I began sticking it down. The very first layer I stuck down using my Acid Free Glue directly on to the cardboard base (that will later be fixed to my journal cover), then I repeated this process for the second layer. For the third layer I added some Liquid Scrap Dots for some dimension. I then repeated the process. I kept the layers very random in that I didn't necessarily alternate between glue and Liquid Scrap Dots, I just added dimension as I needed to add some visual interest to the cover.
If you didn't have any Liquid Scrap Dots you could substitute these with pieces of cardboard (using glue to adhere them)or Zapdots. The stickyness of glue dots will not withstand a lot of handling and as a journal will be used make sure you reinforce your work. Acid Free Glue will do the trick!
Once all the layers were in place I added a few embellishments including an embossed chipboard title, a handmade teal heart from Charms Creations and a little flair button. As a final touch to add a bit of bling I added a few red rhinestones. As I said my Acid Free Glue is my go to. All my embellishments are adhered with it. It does take a little bit of time to dry on things that aren't paper but it is strong and does the job if you have a bit of patience.
Here is my finished product.
You can see some dimension it this side shot.
Here are a few more close ups so you can check out all the embellishments.
Thanks for checking out my creation today. Oh, and there is a process video too. You will have to head over to my YouTube channel POPLEOPOD to check it out.
I can't wait to show you what else I have planned for next month.